Thursday, June 7, 2012

Upcycled: High-Low Skirt

One of my favorite things about thrifting and upcycling is the ability to try out trends without breaking the bank.  I've really been loving the high-low silhouette that's been all over the place this season, so I set out to create a more budget-friendly version.  I started with a skirt that I thrifted to $1.50.  Here's the before:


I felt like the length was a little odd as is; too long to be a flattering midi, but too short to work as a maxi, so it was definitely the perfect candidate for a change in hem.  The after:





Skirt, shirt, purse: thrifted. Shoes: Dansko Sandi via REI (great cute and comfortable walking sandals that I love). Sunglasses: Michael's (yes, as in the craft store).


There are so many pluses to a high-low skirt upcycle.  If you are unsure about this trend, it's a great way to give it a try without breaking the bank.  If it turns out you don't really like it, or you wear it for a while and get tired of it, it would be so simple to just take the skirt up to a single length.  Creating your own high-low skirt also puts you in complete control of the length and proportions.  You can go for a subtle look by varying the length just a little, or do a more extreme high-low look; this trend looks great either way.  I've also noticed that many of the high-low shirts in stores are very short in the front, so doing it yourself is a great way to get a modest look if that's what you are going for.  Plus, it's super easy to do!


This skirt, much like my previous upcycle, has quickly become one of my favorite new wardrobe pieces.  The movement when I walk is so amazing.  It kind of feels like I have a little cape flowing out behind me.  It's so fun and comfortable!


What are your thoughts on the high-low trend?  Would you upcycle your own high-low skirt?  Let me know! 

11 comments:

  1. I don't wear high-low skirts for a few reasons, first they kind of don't work if the high end isn't above the knees, and second because my dad shakes his head and says they're ripping me off for a torn skirt. Anyways, I think you did a great job at transforming this and I totally envy your talent with up cycling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My parents say the same thing about distressed jeans. But it's totally not a rip-off if you do it yourself for dirt cheap!

      Delete
  2. It looks so much better after you changed it! I don't think I'd ever buy a high low skirt either (like the commentor above), but if I got a $2 skirt from the thrift store I think it'd be a worthwhile trend to try out! Mine would have to come to my knees in front, too! It looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the great things about creating your own high-low skirt is that you can make it come to your knees. I've seen this style of skirt that way and I think it looks great!

      Delete
  3. Seriously adorable! I love how you styled it too! Thanks for linking up today!

    Krista
    Lazy Saturdays

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Krista! I've always loved all your upcycling projects and I'm so happy you started up this link party. I'm so excited to get lots more upcycling inspiration from everyone who's posted!

      Delete
  4. Adorable! I love the high low trend, and this skirt is awesome! How did you go about making it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I am so impressed at how it looks "after"! I'm a bit jealous of your skills... I tried this same thing and ruined a skirt :(

    http://myeverydayrunway.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. You turned this $1.50 skirt into a real gem! It looks terrific. I love it with the denim top too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look amazing. I have to try this.
    Check out my latest post. I nominated you for the Laine Blog Award.
    Asilia

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how mullet skirts feel :) You instantly feel so glamorous walking around with the wind whipping it up into glorious shapes behind you.

    anni-dot-elle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete